Friday, April 22, 2011

RTI Artifact

Special Education Evaluation RTI
One of the first group activities that we had to do was a jigsaw activity. This was the first time that I had taken part in a jigsaw activity, at least the first time where it had been named as such. For more information about jigsaw activities check out this link.
As an activity it was a good ice breaker and a chance to get to know other students. I can see that this would be valuable in class and in a short period of time would allow students to produce some great co-operative work.
The topic of the activity was the RTI process. Again this class was invaluable as although I had heard about RTI, and in fact even sat through an insufferable presentation once, I wasn't very clear about it. After this class I was able to see the benefits of the whole process. I can see some drawbacks, particularly where the concept is so new and teachers need a lot of guidance when creating identification screeners to determine whether or not a student moves on within the process. My wife works in a school where the teachers have been given little guidance from Administration and have been expected to implement the RTI process a little blindly. However, I can see that the thorough nature of the process will enable help and support to be given more effectively and in a more individualized manner than perhaps previously.
I look forward to being part of the RTI process.

No comments:

Post a Comment