Friday, April 22, 2011

5 Day Unit - Time Management


This link will take you to the 5 lesson unit plan on time management on Taskstream.
This was my first time using Taskstream and I found it to be fairly user friendly. As an assignment this one was very time consuming. Researching, planning and then creating a detailed 5 lesson unit plan proved to be a tough ask.
As a unit plan I think that this is of a good standard. I have paid attention to the needs of the topic and have shown where they link to Illinois Standards. I have tried to keep the tasks novel, fun and fairly short. The topic of time management is a fairly dry one and I don't think it should ever be taught specifically as a stand alone class. The techniques and strategies alluded to in the plan should be included in all subject areas across the curriculum. This constant reinforcement, and modeling of desired study behaviors by all teachers should lead to a greater adoption of these techniques by all students.
I have tried to show how I would accommodate for the inclusion of three students, each with a specific learning difficulty - one with TBI, one with ADHD and one on the autism spectrum. I think that it is always hard to produce such generic lesson plans as teachers will always adapt situations depending on the students in front of them. If I start teaching time management and the students don't understand the concept I don't just go onto lesson 2 next time around. I would continue with the topic but present it in a way that might be more successful.
I think this unit plan would reap some rewards and I think that in lesson 5 the students would certainly be able to produce some very good presentations that they could show to their peers. However, I can already see that there are areas of the unit that will probably be re-written if I was to teach this unit a second time around.
I have enjoyed this SPED class and will arrange to sign up for the two others that I need in order to sit my LBS1 at a later date. I think I would be a good special ed teacher as I have already developed a number of strategies that have allowed me to be successful within a class setting. I have good empathy skills and a desire that all students in my care get the most out of each lesson. I also think that being a man in the field of special education might work in my favor as there seems to be a shortage of men in the field right now. I'm not really sure why that might be, but with boys outnumbering girls 4:1 in special ed classes I think I can be a good role model to these students.

Concept Map

No comments:

Post a Comment