Friday, April 22, 2011

Chapter Notes


As part of our class requirements for SPED 446 we were instructed to read "Learning Disabilities and Related Mild Disabilities: Characteristics, Teaching Strategies and New Directions" by Janet Lerner and Beverley Johns. This was a well laid out book and as it is in it's 11th edition, it has been recently revised. It was a surprisingly enjoyable read and will prove to a useful reference book once I start working with students with Learning Disabilities.
We were told to read each chapter and make notes in different styles each week. These note taking styles included:
  • Split-Page - Cornell
  • Graphic Organizer
  • SQ3R
  • SCROL
  • Mind Maps
  • Split Page
  • Plus we were given the option of a free choice.
I don't think that I was ever taught how to make notes effectively but over time have found the style that I prefer. Having undertaken this exercise I would say that I take notes most closely to that of the split page - Cornell style. In fact this was my favored style and one that I would consider using in the future. I like the fact that it allows for comprehensive and yet concise notes to be taken, and revised, and then summarized. It was the summary table at the end of the review that I most liked as I had never considered doing this before.
Although it is difficult to say which of the chapters was most memorable, I would say that Chapter 1 was very good. It put everything in context and set things up for the rest of the following weeks. It was good to read about the dynamic nature of the field of Special Education and although there remains a great deal to be done to level the playing field and remove for restrictions for those with learning disabilities it is evident that much is being done in this field.
Clicking the image below will take you to the full list chapter reviews that I completed over the past few weeks.
Andrew Milne: Completed Chapter Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment