Friday, April 22, 2011

Goal Setting

As a Health teacher I encourage my students to set themselves health goals that they will work towards achieving over the course of a semester.
I tell the students, and sometimes these key words differ depending on what source you look at, that they should set SMART goals that are:
Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Timely

I've included a photograph (my scanner is broken) of my notes from the goal setting session in class. As you can see, my goal was "To pass the SPED 446 class with an A grade or better, completing all required coursework on or before deadline (see syllabus)."
I think that this is sufficient although I think that my tutor, Linda Rich might not think that it is specific enough. I believe that certain things can be implied, as the goal is specifically for me, I know what is required for me to fulfill the goal. HOWEVER, when we are working with students with learning disabilities they might not be able to behave in this way. For that reason, we as educators should be VERY clear when setting goals.
It is important that we model the goal setting technique, then encourage our students to set simple SMART goals. Eventually these goals will become more advanced and long term goals.
By encouraging our students to set goals we ask them to take more ownership for their own development. It also demonstrates that they have control over their future and that it isn't always decided for them by others.

No comments:

Post a Comment