Monday, June 27, 2011

Book Review


I read Lance Armstrong's book "It's Not About The Bike - My Journey Back To Life". Written in 2000 it details Armstrong's fight against cancer. In it Lance demonstrates that a positive mindset is crucial in overcoming illness. "Make every obstacle an opportunity" is a quote fom chapter 2 attributed to his mother and it helps to explain Armstrong's later observations in which he shared that every time he coughed up a black tar-like substance during chemotherapy he imagined that it was the cancer leaving his body. He said that every time it burned when he went to the bathroom he imagined that it was the cancer leaving his body. Now obviously surviving cancer involves more than a positive mind but Lance Armstrong believes that remaining optimistic and surrounding yourself with close friends and supportive family can help make the battle against cancer a little more bearable.This for me was the key thought that I took away from the book, the idea that friends and family should not be scared, or shun the patient. They should help form a supportive unit that will help share the burden being bore by the person living with cancer.
As part of this assignment we we asked to provide a list of ways in which a teacher might support a child with cancer in an educational setting. A list such as this could be never ending but would certainly include things such as:
Meet with the child and parents and understand as much about the disease as possible. Share this information with other teachers if required.
Educate those students around the child so that they can better understand what they are going through. This may reduce misunderstanding and perhaps bullying. It will also increase the level of support that they are able to provide to their peer.
Students requiring medical care will miss a lot of time at school. It is important for the teacher to prepare for this accordingly, perhaps modifying packets and assessments so that the student can try and maintain their grades. A element of flexibility regarding deadlines will also be necessary.
Additionally teachers should be aware of the stress that the student is living with. Medication, plus living with a disease may affect moods and behavior patterns. Neither of which will be typical of the childs normal behavior.

We have also been asked to consider what a parent might choose to tell an educator about the child living with cancer. I suppose that this is quite personal and some families might share more information than others. However, as a teacher I would welcome the opportunity to discus the child's disease to help me plan my lessons in a way that I could reduce any restrictions that the child might face in class. I would like parents to tell me how the child is dealing with the situation mentally. Are they strong and positive or ca I help boost their confidence in any way. I would like to know when treatments are planned so that I can avoid setting projects or tasks that would otherwise be impossible. Also, if the child is on medication, how might I see a change in their behavior. Finally I would ask whether the parents and child were comfortable sharing this information with peers and oth teachers that taught the student.

I have never knowingly taught a child living with cancer but have taught many who have family members fighting the disease or have passed from the disease. I know the devastating effect that it has on our communities and hope that as a teacher I have been possible to provide comfort in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment